Australian Ally Langdon was unable to conceal her anguish when she spoke with a mother and father who were forced to make the difficult choice to end the life of the small child they had given birth to just 13 years before.
Langdon, who is also a mother, tried to contain her tears as she saw the small girl die after succumbing to the chroming trend that had gone popular.
Esra, a young athlete who raced BMX bikes with her siblings and co-captained the Montrose Football Netball Club, was described as “determined, fun, cheeky, and talented” by her teammates. Esra also led her team to a national aerobics championship in Queensland.
“It was just the regular routine of going to hang out with her mates,” her mom Andrea, told Langdon in the interview. Her father Paul added, “We always knew where she was and we knew who she was with. It wasn’t anything out of the ordinary…To get this phone call at that time of night, (it) was one of the calls no parent ever wants to have to receive, and we unfortunately got that call: ‘Come and get your daughter.’”
Esra’s companions believed her to be experiencing a panic attack, according to Langdon, “but after inhaling deodorant, her body was actually starting to shut down, she was in cardiac arrest, and no one at the sleepover used cardiac arrest.”
Esra’s brain injury was “beyond repair,” according to Paul and Andrea, and they had to make the decision to turn off the machine after eight days on life support. Her parents described the suffering of taking their daughter’s life while having trouble speaking and recalling their saddest day.
Asked to bring family and friends to the hospital for their final goodbyes, Esra’s dad said: “It was a very, very difficult thing to do to such a young soul. She was put onto a bed so we could lay with her. We cuddled her until the end.”
Langdon, the mother of two young children, lost control of her emotions and started crying because of the parents’ grief. Paul claims that following Esra’s death in the first week of April, Imogen, Seth, and Charlie are “shattered” and the entire family is “broken.”
“It was really devastating, devastating for everyone involved, all her friends as well,” Paul said. “It’s been the most difficult, traumatic time any parent could go through. We haven’t been sleeping, we’ve hardly been eating, we haven’t been smiling–we’re not ourselves…But it’s not just affected us, it’s the community as well.”
Having never heard of chroming until it murdered their daughter, Paul and his wife are now on a mission to raise awareness of the fatal viral trend that is becoming more and more popular among teenagers and is easily accomplished with store-bought materials like deodorant, paint, hairspray, or even permanent markers.
In an interview with a local news outlet, Paul expressed regret for not being aware about chroming when Esra was still alive and might have informed her of the risks: “If we were educated and the word had been put out there, we would have had the discussion around our kitchen table for sure.”
“We need to ramp it up and let these kids find out the information first-hand, and not through friends, and not through social media–then they’re given the right advice off the bat.”
Paul wants to educate parents so that they can better their kids’ lives and perhaps even save them. their offspring.
“(Parents) need to sit and have a chat to their children, and just open that conversation up gently with them. We certainly didn’t know what was going on.”
Numerous children have died in Australia and other parts of the world since 2009 as a result of the worrying chroming trend. Chroming, which can cause organ failure, seizures, heart attacks, suffocation, and abrupt smelling death, is popular among young people as a quick fix for getting high.
“We’ve got the pictures in our mind which will never be erased, you know, of what we were confronted with,” Paul told Langdon. “Our gut was ripped out.”
We cannot fathom how awful it must be for a family to decide to remove their young kid from life support. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Haynes family and all of Esra’s loved ones.
By alerting parents about the risks associated with this terrible trend, you may help them save their children’s lives by sharing this story with everyone you know.